Bolinas Community Public Utility District
A Regular Meeting  Of  The Board  Of  Directors
July 24, 2013      270 Elm Road, Bolinas

1.   Call to Order.


            7:32 p.m.


2.   Roll.


            Directors Amoroso, Kimball and Smith present; directors Bender and Siedman absent.  Director Amoroso presiding.


3.   Manager’s Report.


-- Update on the Terrace Avenue Water Main Relocation Project.


Staff reported that the district received its second reimbursement check from the California Department of Public Health (“CDPH”) today, approximately two months after submitting all of the required documentation, and payment therefore was made immediately to the district’s contractor, W. R. Forde.  Staff thanked W. R. Forde for its patience and its good work thus far on the project.  As of now, the project is nearly complete, with only the paving and a short “punch list” of items remaining to be done.


-- Update on the Terrace Avenue Bluff Stabilization Project


Sanders & Associates Geostructural Engineers (“SAGE”) submitted its final geotechnical investigation report yesterday.  Staff will circulate the report and include an item on next month’s agenda for the Board to accept it.  Staff presented a short summary of the payments made to SAGE by the County, the BCPUD and the Fire Protection District for its investigation work and final reports on the condition of the bluff below Surfer’s Overlook.  In brief, the County has expended $57,386.94, the BCPUD has expended $52,386.92 and the Fire Protection District has expended $5,000.  Director Kimball requested that the staff report on the source of the BCPUD’s expenditures (whether from reserves or operating funds) at the next meeting.  


-- Update on the Wastewater Treatment Plant Pump Station and Electrical Upgrade Project.


Staff reported that the district’s engineer is revising the bid documents to include an alternative installation concept as discussed at last month’s meeting. 


-- Update on Shared Personnel Between BCPUD and Bolinas Fire Protection District.


Nothing to report.  Staff said the two districts likely will begin their joint training after the summer due to vacation schedules.


Staff reported that consumption in downtown Bolinas during the quarter ending in May 2013 was the highest since water rationing was imposed in early 2009.  However, consumption since then has declined as customers have adjusted their water use in response to the district’s requests for conservation;  staff thanked the district’s customers for their response to these requests.  Although the Arroyo Hondo creek received a nice recharge as a result of the late rains in June, the creek flows since have fallen and the district is increasingly reliant on its emergency stored water sources in Woodrat reservoirs #1 and #2. 


Staff directed the Board’s attention to the district’s 2012 Consumer Confidence Report, which was mailed out to all customers last month, as well as two notices concerning haleoacetic acid levels in the district’s treated water.  Staff noted that the district has begun its pilot study to determine whether nanofiltration is a viable solution to reduce chlorine disinfection byproducts in the district’s drinking water; staff will update the Board as results of the study become available.


As directed by the Board last month, staff faxed letters opposing the relocation of the state’s drinking water program from the CDPH to the State Water Resources Control Board and copies of the letters are in the Board books.  Staff noted that CDPH also responded to the federal EPA’s notice of non-compliance and a copy of the CDPH’s corrective action plan is in the Board books, as well. 


Staff has updated the district’s “new customer” mailer and requested the Board submit any comments or revisions as soon as possible.  Staff reported that ACWA/JPIA provided a Defensive Driving class at the BCPUD on June 13, 2013 and conducted a risk assessment;  a copy of the follow-up letter summarizing the site visit is in the Board binders.  ACWA/JPIA also sent out a memorandum concerning the renewal of the members’ workers compensation insurance, and there are no changes in rates this year. 


On the wastewater side of operations, staff is focused on completing the bid documents for the control panel replacement project.  Flows into the collection system continue to be low.  Mowing of the sprayfields is scheduled to occur after the first of August.


Director Bender joined the meeting by telephone at approximately 7:55 p.m.


-- Drainage Project Manager’s Report.


      The Board received a written report from Drainage Project Manager Lewie Likover. 


4.   Community Expression.




5.    Request for Financial Relief from Quarterly Water Bill pursuant to BCPUD Resolution 553 – 288 Larch Road (J. Mattingly).


Staff reported that this customer, who cannot be present due to medical issues, submitted a written request for financial relief due to leaks at her home caused by a broken hot water heater.  


D. Smith/K. Bender                   four in favor, director Siedman absent     to grant full financial relief and reissue the bill in an amount based on the historic average use at the property for the past three years during the same quarter.


6.   Request to Suspend Sewer Connection (L. Ferlinghetti).


Lorenzo Ferlinghetti submitted a request to suspend his sewer connection until such time as he is able to obtain a potable water supply at his property.  After a brief discussion, the Board referred the matter to the Board’s Sewer Committee.


7.   Expanded Water Use Permit – 270 Laurel Road (F. Vietor).


Greg Schank appeared on behalf of the homeowner and explained that the project is limited to a 189 square foot addition to an existing 209 square foot studio; the studio will be improved to include a bathroom and small kitchen.  The homeowner currently has an expanded water use permit which limits quarterly water use to 2340 cubic feet.  The Board briefly discussed the project and the amount of water allowed pursuant to the community average of 2260 cubic feet per quarter.


B. Kimball/D. Smith                  four in favor, director Siedman absent     to approve an expanded water use permit with a maximum quarterly usage of 3390 cubic feet, which is the community average plus 50%.


8.    Request for Community Discussion re: Items Left on Public Roads In and Around Bolinas (I. Hartmann).


Ilka Hartmann was present and said she asked for this agenda item as she would like people to be more respectful of the community and stop leaving trash along the side of the road.  She also expressed concern about people dumping greenwaste over the bluffs.  Jim Marcus expressed support for Ilka’s concerns and noted that garbage frequently is left on Elm Road under the trees adjacent to the BCPUD property.  Discussion ensued about the nature of items left on the side of the road; sometimes the items are not garbage, but often they are (e.g. used mattresses and the like).  The Board directed staff to submit a notice in the Hearsay News asking people not to leave garbage on the roads or dump greenwaste over the bluffs.  Staff also was directed to install signage along the trees on the BCPUD property stating that no dumping of garbage or other unwanted items is permitted.


9.   Concerns re: Lease between the BCPUD and Gospel Flat Farms (J. Aroyan).


Janine Aroyan and several other community members were present to discuss concerns they have about the lease between the BCPUD and Gospel Flat Farms.  Janine said that she is not opposed per se to the farming activity allowed under the lease, but that she does have concerns (which she wrote down and provided to the Board) about how those activities are being conducted.  Janine said that she wants to be sure that the public’s right to a beautiful aesthetic experience when walking the property is preserved and she suggested that the BCPUD increase it’s oversight over the leased property.  Discussion ensued, with various community members adding input.  Director Amoroso suggested that the Board form an ad hoc committee of people interested in the management of the sewer pond land; he said the committee should consist of two Board members, BCPUD staff, Mickey and/or Don Murch, and interested community members.  The following persons volunteered to serve on the committee:  Ken Masterton, Genie McNaughton, and Tish Brown.  Director Bender supported the concept of a committee; she said Janine raised good points and that perhaps an addendum is needed to the lease to ensure her concerns are addressed.  Ken Masterton said he thought BCPUD was well-intentioned when granting the lease, but that it needs to exercise more oversight to ensure its land is properly managed.  Ken suggested that some of the farming activities conducted to-date may exceed the permission granted under the lease.  Bill Pierce said that the staff has begun to address these concerns with Mickey Murch and he feels significant progress has been made.  Director Amoroso encouraged the committee to approach the concerns in a cooperative spirit.


10. Firehouse Community Park Agency (Mesa Park) – Water Use at the Downtown Park.


Director Amoroso said that he regularly attends the Mesa Park Board meetings and there was an intense debate at the last meeting over water use at the downtown park.  Director Amoroso reminded the other Board members that when the Board issued an expanded water use permit for the development of the downtown park a couple of years ago, it did not impose a cap on water usage at that time but rather specifically reserved doing so until a representative water use was established.  Director Amoroso said that the Mesa Park Board members had said that a representative would attend tonight’s meeting to discuss this topic, but that no one is present; as such, he recommended the Board continue this item to a future date.  There was no objection.


11. Continued Review of Expanded Water Use Permit Limits and Historical Actual Water Use.


Director Smith said that he presented a one-page graph at last month’s Board meeting which depicted the district’s current overall water consumption based on the quarterly water use data of all customers for the last four years.  At that meeting, director Kimball asked if there were differences in consumption between expanded water use permit holders and other customers; in other words, she asked if customers without water use limits are using a lot more water than those with limits.  Director Smith therefore plotted additional data to compare the water usage of permit holders and of non-permit holders and concluded that the consumption patterns are nearly identical, particularly on the high end; he noted that almost no permit holders are exceeding their limits, which is good news.  Director Bender thanked director Smith for his detailed analysis and said it was very encouraging.


12.       Resolution 620: Approving the 2013-14 District Budget.


B. Kimball/D. Smith      four in favor, director Siedman absent                 to approve Resolution 620.


13.       Resolution 621: Replaces Resolution No. 614, Stating the Current Rates and Charges for District Services and Authorizing Placement of Charges on the Marin County Property Tax Bill Where Appropriate.


B. Kimball/D. Smith      four in favor, director Siedman absent                 to approve Resolution 621.


14. Update on Water Supply Augmentation Project.


The Board reviewed the latest analysis from consulting hydro-geologist Rob Gailey.


15.  Volunteer Committee Reports.


-- Alternative Energy:  Nothing to report.


-- Bolinas Lagoon Advisory Committee:  Nothing to report.


-- Community Path Update:  Nothing to report.


-- Downtown Parking & Traffic Committee:  Nothing to report.


-- Resource Recovery:  Nothing to report.


-- West Marin Mosquito Control Coordinating Council:  Nothing to report.


16.          Other Business.


a.       Board Committee Reports


-- Finance:  Nothing to report.

-- Legal:  Nothing to report.


-- Mesa Septic, Flood Control and Roads:  Nothing to report.


-- Operations:  Nothing to report.


-- Park and Recreation:  Nothing to report.


-- Personnel:  Nothing to report.


-- Sewer:  Nothing to report.


b. Minutes of the June 19, 2013 Regular Meeting.


    Directors Kimball and Smith offered clarifying corrections to the draft minutes. 


D. Smith/K. Bender              four in favor, director Siedman absent                 to approve the minutes of the June 19, 2013 regular meeting, as amended.


c. Warrants


B. Kimball/D. Smith             four in favor, director Siedman absent     to approve the warrant list.


d. Scheduling of Next Meeting(s) 


August 21, 2013 at 7:30 p.m.


17.  Adjournment.


9:54 p.m.